Image Map

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Blog Rewind: Listen to the Love Song

Spring, 2010

"And now, dear lady, I am not writing to you a new command but one we have had from the beginning. I ask that we love one another. And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love." 
2 John 5-6

I know that I don't have to tell anyone reading this that sometimes life gets chaotic. Don't worry - I'm not writing to complain. Not in the least. I'm writing this because God always takes my chaos and turns it into something beautiful.

There's a lot I don't - and will never - understand. I have a lot to learn. I am dramatically flawed, just as we all are. But God is pouring Himself out on me and giving me some new perspective. Discovering and living out His will is a daily thing, but there is one thing that I am absolutely sure of: I am called to love people. Simple. Not easy. Worth it.

There are so many decisions to be made in the coming years about both here at Milligan and after. But I know that those will come with time. One thing that is clear is that, right now, I am supposed to be pouring into others. I don't have it all together. I'm not going to be a perfect encourager and friend by any means. But I'm going to do my best to lift others up, because everyone needs that. Everyone.

My first attempt at this is as follows: I'm going to try to articulate and expound upon a conversation I had with a beautiful sister in Christ last week.

My friend and I were talking about our views of God and she described this beautiful picture of God as our Father, our Friend, and our Lover. It was interesting to think of God in those three contexts at the same time. It was easy for me to grasp the Father and Friend concepts, but God as a lover, one who is pursuing me, one who loves me with a passion...that's not something I had considered much. But it is so true. My friend described how she feels about this, and since then I have paid close attention.

God chases after us. He is relentless in his pursuit. I feel his hugs in the warmth of the sun and I hear his whispers in the wind. When I lie down to sleep, I know he is holding me, keeping me safe from anything that might try to harm me. When I am upset, he wants to be the first one I run to. He listens. He allows me to give my time to others, but sometimes he just wants me all to himself. I think he smiles when I smile, and laughs when I laugh. And I know that he gets jealous when I don't give him everything. He's chosen me - all of us - and he's not giving up.

I am loved, no matter how irrational that seems. Life is irrational, and love - a force so much greater that even life - must be irrational, or it would be commonplace. My God isn't common. He is extraordinary, and He is love. Love cannot be boxed in. Love knows no bounds. Love makes absolutely no sense. But the God who created those starts and flowers and butterflies also created me. And He thinks I'm beautiful.

Listen to His love song.


Summer, 2014

Over four years later, this is still true. Life is so different, but I find myself relating to sophomore-in-college Corri so well here. Love is a concept that I enjoy exploring, and I am thankful that God gives us such strong examples of his love, through things he does and through others. 
signature

No comments:

Post a Comment